Peter’s Blog Star Date 10th July 2015
In which I muse Merry Go Rounds, Panda’s, Security and summer……
Search News Update
Well, there were certainly more than a few interesting pieces of search news over the last week or so, in our wonderful world of search including:-
- News that the expected Google Panda update has been delayed a little but is still imminent.
- Microsoft, fresh from announcing that Bing was successful and profitable, unveiled a deal with AOL, for it to use Bing’s ads and listings in its search for the next 10 years.
- Whilst in a Merry Go Round moment, Yahoo, who were using Bings Ads and listings, started testing using Google search results.
It’s never dull.
There was also news of a potential hack into Magento ecommerce sites, which Heather covered. The rise and rise of Magento as an ecommerce platform means this is a significant issue and one we all need to be vigilant of.
How to Get Your Girl/Guy/Customer
This week’s fascinating fact comes from a survey by the Acquity Group. The Next Generation of Commerce Study reveals the tactics you should use to get your customers and potential customers to choose you, rather than your competitors. These include
- Discounts – Though fast delivery is important, the vast majority of consumers (82%) would rather get 10% off an item’s price than same-day delivery
- Social – 18% of consumers would switch to a new retailer if they offered social media engagement (such as “Liking” or sharing a post) in return for discounts. This jumps to 28% for ages 18-22, 32% for ages 23-30 and 98% when it comes to Matt
- Security – 20% (one in five) of consumers would choose a new supplier for day-to-day items if they offered enhanced online ecommerce security
And Then There Were Seven….
Joining Matt, Heather, Sophie, Sarah, Charlie and Minty is, this week, another Sophie. How we deal with this surge of Sophie’s has taxed us considerably and has caused us much angst and confusion, and a frantic search for a suitable sobriquet.
Meanwhile, as temperatures rose, Wimbledon got into full swing and the Ashes kicked off, Charlie, our very own Tennis and Cricket aficionado, has taken to arriving at the office each morning resplendent in dazzling white flannels, almost, though not quite, matching his dazzling white smile. This possibly explains why Heather and Matt have taken to wearing dark glasses in the office, despite fact that the sun has not been officially seen in Haywra Street for a considerable number of years.
On a less happy note, my world has been rocked this week by the loss of my little German Shepherd, Lexi, who was just a year old, and passed away during an operation. It’s made me really sad, so please accept my apologies if I’ve sounded a bit down.
So, until next time…..